Saturday, October 25, 2014

Paris 09/24/2014 - Wednesday


9/24/2014  Wednesday

 

Again we had breakfast in the hotel.

 

 

Then it was off to the museums -  Rodin, Orangerie and Louvre and a walk through the Tuileries Garden. 

 

 

The Rodin Museum was good.  We got to see The Thinker and The Kiss and many other of his sculptures.

 

Then off to the Orangerie Museum.  This is a museum of Impressionist paintingsby Cexane, Utrillo, Piccaso, Modigliani, Gaugin, etc.  What Bob and I wanted to see there was Monet’s eight monumental canvases of his Water Lily gardens at Giverney.  They were magnificent.  There were 2 oval rooms dedicated to these paintings, 4 paintings in each room.  Then we went downstairs and walked through a room of Emile Bernard paintings.  We walked on down the hall and I sat on a bench enjoying some Renoir paintings(Y9ung Girls at the Piano (1892) and 2 others which we do not know the name of)  while Bob walked through several other rooms. 

 

About halfway through the day I decided  my brace was givimg me more pain then I needed and I was much better when I took  it off.

 

Between the Orangerie and the Louvre we walked through the Tuileries Garden.  Stopped at a pool and watched the ducks for a little while. Stopped for lunch at a little café in the gardens.

 

Lunch

Café Des Marronniers (The Chestnut Trees)

We both had Onion Soup

Good French Bread

Bob  had a Coke and I had an Ice Tea.

 

By this time Bob has had it with no or little ice in his drinks.  I think he was obsessed. 

 

Then we continued our walk across the Tuileries Gardens to the Louvre.  This is a large and I do mean  LARGE  museum.  When we were in Paris in 2008 we saw the Mona Lisa and a lot of other paintings and the statue Winged Victory so we didn’t want to see them again.

 

bfBob wanted to see The Code of Hammurabi, Venus DeMilo and he wanted to see some of  the Napoleon  rooms.  I made it through The Code of Hammurabi, Babylonian/Persian schulptures and artifacts,  Venus DeMilo and some other sections with wonderful statues but when Bob went off  to see the  Napoleon III  rooms I people watched.

 

We got back to our hotel about 6:00PM both really dragging.  We spend a couple of hours reading (me) and Bob planning for the next couple of days.

 

About 8:00 we walked across the street to Creperie LA Margasse.  Our dinner consisted of  vin Blanc, Crepe Facon Tatin (apple)  and Crepe Melba (peach) .  We shared these 2 crepes and both were absolutely delicious.

 

The Rodin Museum

The Thinker



The Thinker with the dome of Hotel de Invalides

The Kiss

The gardens of the Rodin Museum

The courtyard of the Rodin Museum

The Seine - we were walking from the Rodin to the Orangerie

The Eiffel Tower

The outside of the Orangerie.  Unfortunately we have
no pictures inside this museum as they were not allowed.
 

Bob in the Tuileries Garden

Sitting and watching the ducks in the Tuileries Garden
 

One wing of the Louvre

A miniature of the Arc de Triomphe

Entering the Louvre

The Code of Hammurabi

Venus DeMilo

The Sphinx
 
 

 

 

 

1 comment:

blueladie said...

What GREAT pictures. Love looking at them. TFS!!! Cathryn